Sharing my homemade tomato-less sauce recipe today for all our allergy sensitive friends and family.
When I first discovered that our son could not eat tomatoes I thought- “eh, its not that bad”. However, the more I started to meal plan I quickly realized how frequently we use them. It soon became clear that this nightshade intolerance would be the nagging little sister to a gluten intolerance. I needed a new ‘tomatoless‘ base for everything from chili to taco’s and this is what I cooked up in my homestead kitchen-
Yields: 6 Cups Sauce
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 3 Carrots (diced)
- 2 Stalks Celery (diced)
- 1 Small-Medium Onion (loosely diced)
- 4 C Beef or Chicken Broth
- 1 C Water
- 1 C Pumpkin or 1 C Sweet Potato Puree’
- 4 Cooked Beets (peeled and sliced)
- 2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 T Lemon Juice
- 2 T Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
2. Sautee’ carrots, celery and onions over medium heat until onions are translucent and carrots are slightly softened.
3. Add broth, water and pumpkin puree (or sweet potato puree) and simmer 2-3 minutes.
4. Add sliced beets, vinegar, lemon juice and seasonings and continue to cook 5-6 minutes or just
until hot (DO NOT over cook the sauce or it will turn brown from over cooking the beets.)
5. Using an immersion blender, puree’ and serve immediately or freeze in portion sized containers. I use a silicone muffin tin like this one, freeze individual portion sizes, pop the frozen sauce cups out, and then freeze in a gallon zip-lock for later use.
Get Your Printable Recipe Here